Skip to main content.

Alpha 2 & Tango 2, Day 8: Long Bay Day

By wpdev July 31, 2019
Written by Kyra Benforte
Edited by Meredith Evridge

We woke up at Cane Garden Bay and began getting ready for our sail to Long Bay on Beef Island. Enjoying breakfast with our crews, we finished up and made sure everything was ready to depart. We raised our dinghies and made them snug on the transom for the journey. Drying swimsuits and towels had to be cleared from the lifelines and the galley had to be secured. Everyone had a task and it was all sorted promptly.

During our long sail, we practiced our tacking, upwind sailing, and reviewed anchoring. Under sail, we made a pleasing lunch of pizza bagels. We alternated between keeping the skipper company up top and playing card games during our down time. We were able to apply our boosted anchoring lesson knowledge immediately as we approached Long Bay. Once Gingembre, Greuze and Ormindo were all successfully anchored, we applied sunscreen and drank water. We were ready to head to shore and begin our beach afternoon!

On shore, we began with a beach clean where we competed to collect the most trash between our boats. Long Bay doesn’t look like it would have much trash, but we surprisingly collected seven bags of it! Pleased to clear so much off of the beach, we deposited our trash treasures and washed our hands, ready for the next activities. We had several options for our afternoon at Long Bay! Some of us went sailing in our Picos and Colgate 26, while others dabbled in stand up paddle boarding, waterskiing, wakeboarding and tubing. We also had the Poparazzi out. There was a gigantic trampoline that was jumped on the entire time we were there!

Once 5:30 rolled around, everyone’s tummies were rumbling. Our land operations team had cooked up a mouth watering barbeque of burgers, franks, veggie burgers and portobello mushrooms for the vegetable lovers. It was good food, extra delicious after all the sporting about. Lettuce, grilled onions, tomatoes, watermelon, pineapple, chips and cookies were also freely grabbed! We had several come back for seconds and even thirds.

Sandy, full and tired, we headed back to our boats where we showered, had boat meeting with a couple more cookies, and powered down to get ready for our early morning ahead!

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.