Can a single summer program help navigate a course for life? Absolutely!
Sail Caribbean isn’t simply about the relatively short time we spend together. Our goals are much more ambitious. With sun-drenched days and a cooling trade wind, our tropical setting is one of the most inspiring backdrops in the world to nurture self-confidence, foster personal growth, and create a structure for social and academic success.
We’ve got 37 years of experience providing teens with the opportunity to develop, strengthen and test their know-how. Our focus on leadership and teamwork is the foundation of every adventure we offer. Our staff create a safe, non-competitive environment to bring out your personal best. They are your role models…And your champions.
Our approach is a simple one: When you live it, you learn it. There’s no better way to master new skills. You are a participant and contributor, not a spectator – and that’s what our teens appreciate most.
So little time…So much to learn. It would be way too long to name everything, but here’s just a small sampling of some of the things you’ll learn and do on our adventures.
- Tie knots like a bowline, clove hitch and sheet bend
- Plot a course and navigate the islands
- Talk like a sailor, and grind and tail like a pro
- Read the wind and steer by telltales
Leadership & Teamwork
- Work with your crew to run the boat with little or no staff assistance
- Face unexpected challenges and find creative solutions
- Share responsibilities like cooking a group meal and keeping a healthy and safe living environment
- Take charge of your crewmates as skipper of the day
- What makes things look bigger underwater
- ‘Talk’ with hand signals
- How to explore a sunken wreck
- Identify marine life including vertebrates, invertebrates, and plant life
- How to distinguish different turtles of the BVI and free dive to catch one
- Measure, tag and release to help track turtle populations
- Determine the health of a coral reef
- Study the most invasive species threatening our Caribbean waters
- Join Project AWARE and Snorkel or Dive Against Debris to help clean our oceans
- Teach local students basic water safety and snorkeling skills
- Use REEF protocols to provide statistics on coral reef health
- Perform trail maintenance as you hike the mountainous island of Saba
- Get a feel of island life from local teens as you introduce them to a sailing experience
- Take in local artistry and dance with moko jumbies at the Trellis Bay Fireball Party
- Taste island fare as you explore quaint towns and sleepy villages
- Utilize Leave No Trace principles wherever you go
- Climb, jump, snorkel and find out what environmental conditions created the natural playground called The Baths
- Get the lay of the land from Tortola’s highest vantage point
- Find out what one deserted island sends to the Queen each year on her birthday
- Get a confidence boost and master something fast and thrilling: waterski, wakeboard or tube
- Advanced sailing certifications granted aboard our 26’ training boat, Opal Bella
- Find your balance on a stand up paddleboard excursion
- Buddy up and explore the coastline in a kayak while you get to know each other
- Contribute during daily group meetings — a chance to reflect, and plan for the next day’s tasks
- Living in close quarters presents many opportunities to learn acceptance and respect of others, and to form lasting friendships
- Each accomplishment grows your confidence, and a “can do” attitude emerges making you ready to set personal goals and take on new challenges.