Skip to main content.

Bravo 2 & Charlie 2 Day 8: Med-Mooring Within The Beautiful Confines Of Little Harbour, Peter Island

By wpdev July 25, 2017
written by Bravo/Charlie mate, Megan Lundequam
July 23, 2017

We had another early start here on the Bravo and Charlie programs as we had to have our divers ready and on dive boats at Nanny Cay by 8:30a.m.! We spent the night last night at Soper’s and had staff motor each boat at 6a.m. to give our students a little extra, well-deserved sleep. By the time we were docked at Nanny, breakfast was out, lunches were made, and scuba gear was on deck, leaving our divers a few moments to chow down on some eggs and breakfast before grabbing their stuff and setting off.

Our non-divers stayed onboard and enjoyed their breakfast a bit more slowly but by 9a.m., we were going through pre-departure checks and preparing to de-dock and head to Little Harbour on Peter Island. Our sail across the channel was a short one but also very nice. We had a bit smaller crew with our divers gone so everyone was put to work during every maneuver. Underway, we also talked about med mooring, a type of anchoring that originated in the Mediterranean and involves lowering an anchor at the bow and then tying a stern line leading to shore. This prevents swing and allows boats to anchor in a sort of social circle around the shore of the harbor. The fleet was all to med moor in Little Harbour so our students could apply what they had just learned under way and they could not have performed better.

Once we were secured, we had the entire afternoon to relax, float on our new floaties, do a bit of water sports, hike around the east side of Peter Island, snorkel with turtles in the harbor, watch a turtle tagging on the Foxtrot and Sierra boats and just enjoy some down time as our days are usually pretty loaded with activities.

At about 5:00p.m., all of our divers were back so we began showering and preparing dinner. After sitting down and enjoying some Chicken Alfredo, we cleaned and ended the night with a boat meeting where we talked about our group goals for the trip and of course, went around and announced what each of our spirit animals were. Needless to say, we got a chance to learn a bit more about each other and we went to sleep excited for another day of exploring and learning with our comrades.

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.