Skip to main content.

Bravo 2, Charlie 2, Foxtrot 2 & Sierra, Day 12: Sail to Oil Nut Bay

By wpdev July 28, 2019
Written and edited by Meredith Evridge

Today was the day to sail to Oil Nut Bay. It would be a longer sail, and we were looking forward to becoming one with the sea. The early birds bounced around from hammock to hammock, waking everyone up around 7:15. The mooring field at Trellis was overtaken by cheerful, yellow burgees, seven boats full of sleepy campers clustering around the breakfast table. Some boats had breakfast burritos, while others maintained their streak of breakfast buffet-ing. Spoons clattered against the empty bowls and those on breakfast clean whisked away the dishes. Everyone else chilled in the cockpit, lazily chatting and encouraging those that were scrubbing the galley counters. After a short time of post-breakfast chilling, we all prepared to head out to Oil Nut Bay. Going through the predeparture checks, the skippers of the day checked the engines and deemed them fit to travel. They delegated tasks to the rest of the crew and gradually, the cockpit was organized. The hatches were closed, galley secured and life jackets donned.

The engine rumbled to life and all hands were on deck.  A squall came about, just as we were on our way out. The wind was quite strong and we all had to make sure we were extra alert, scanning the mooring field for any noteworthy objects that could deter our smooth exit. Once Mega had left Trellis, sails were raised and jibs were unfurled. We all settled into our positions for the journey, the skippers doing a very good job taking over the helm. It was a lovely sail, with just a bit more grey above our heads before the sun came out to stay.

Lunch was had underway, with a spread of cheeses, deli meats, lettuce, tomatoes and pitas set out. Everyone gathered around, making their creation exactly how they liked it.

On the way to our destination, we stopped at Leverick Bay to refuel. This was about a forty five minute detour, but it was okay with us because we could get a sneak peak of where we’d spend the evening the following day, and we also got ice to cool down our huge canister of drinking water.

We went through a small channel past Saba Rock, again having everyone on deck to help the skipper navigate through the channel markers and shallow waters. Once back out in open water, we all resumed chilling, bopping our heads to the 90’s music playing, and having a snack attack of Tostitos, hummus and salsa.

Picking up a mooring ball at serene Oil Nut Bay, we spent the rest of the afternoon doing watersports and snorkeling. The Sierra crew continued to work on their projects. As the sun hung lower in the sky, the mouthwatering scent of pasta carbonara wafted through the air. We all enjoyed this tasty and filling meal, and then had a QNOB (quiet night on board) with boat clean, boat meeting, and bedtime.

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.