Skip to main content.

Delta 1, Day 2: Heading to the Bight

By wpdev June 25, 2019
Written by Julian Reda
Edited by Meredith Evridge

The day started with an early wakeup and a nice buffet breakfast of cereal, yogurt and bagels.  After breakfast, it was time for all the logistical work that needed to be done before we could set sail for the first time.  Students needed to check in with the dive shop and everyone needed to make sure their boats were fully provisioned and ready to depart.

After all that was done, it was time for the “Prior to First Departure” lesson.  The students were given a thorough walkthrough of their boat. They were shown all of the different parts of the boat, learned their purposes and were taught the proper uses of much of the safety equipment on board.

With the help of their captain and mate, the students then came up with a de-docking plan.  Once their plan was shared with and approved by the Fleet Captain, the students de-docked from Hodges Creek Marina and set their heading for The Bight on Norman Island.  While underway, the students learned how to unfurl the jib, the foresail that is in front of the mast, and those that were on lunch prep made sure that everyone had enough to eat!

Upon arrival at The Bight, divers went ashore to complete their knowledge reviews and swim tests.  Everyone else had beach time, went waterskiing and tubing, or refined their sailing skills on a Colgate 26, a 26 ft Keelboat.

Late in the afternoon, everyone headed back to boats where they were taught how to shower in the ocean.  Then, it was time to prepare a dinner of burrito bowls. Once dinner was over, it was time for boat clean. After all items were put away and surfaces scrubbed, it was time for boat meeting where we wrapped up our first day on the water. 

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.