Skip to main content.

Follow Our Journey! Delta 1 – Days 6 & 7

By Nora E July 1, 2024

By: Emilia S., Student on Nosey B.

Today was day 6 of 21 for me, I’m on the boat Nosy Be in the Delta and Alpha fleet. 

Today started with waking up at 7, my job of the day was breakfast. I made a breakfast buffet consisting of Texas toast-style bagels, cereal, strawberries, and granola. After breakfast, we started pre-departure checks, and shortly after we departed from the Village Marina docks and started sailing to the Bight on Norman Island.

Since I’m on a sailing monohull, we go a lot faster than the catamarans around us, one of my favorite parts of sailing the boat is speeding past them. After a brief sail, we grabbed a ball at the Bight and started lunch, which consisted of sandwiches. Shortly after that, some of the discovery scuba divers and new Open Water divers did their first official dives, and the rest of us went and enjoyed a relaxing time on the boat while swimming and snorkeling. Later in the day, I spent some time reading and enjoying the views of the island.

Around an hour later, we started dinner prep and tonight’s dinner was carbonara with bacon. After dinner, we did a boat clean and went stargazing on one of the Colgates. I sang and pointed out constellations while someone else on my boat told pirate stories. We saw a ton of shooting stars and satellites in the sky, the BVI has some of the best star gazing I’ve seen. Just another reason I love it here.

Day 7

This morning I woke up at around 6 o’clock on my own, made myself tea, then sat in my hammock and read until 7 o’clock when the rest of the boat woke up. It wasn’t my job to make breakfast but I traded jobs with one of my boat mates so I could make French toast (one of my favorite things to make). After breakfast, we had some time to swim and snorkel while some of the crew went sailing on the Colgates.

During this time, we also worked on our call names for each other which was really fun (my call sign is ASAP). Call signs are what we use on the radios to communicate with each other. After the sailors got back from the Colgates, we dropped the mooring ball and started motoring to one of my favorite islands, which is Sandy Cay to do the Olympics. During the Olympics, we competed in dizzy fenders, synchronized swimming, and staff member sand art, where we buried our mate and turned her into a giant rat (part of an inside joke).

After the Olympics ended, we dropped the ball at Sandy Cay and went for a quick motor over to Little Harbor on Yost Van Dyke Island, where we had dinner and music on land at a restaurant called Sydney’s. After dinner, we returned to the boat and I read for a while before falling asleep. 

The past two days have been so fun and I truly enjoy being here.

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.