Skip to main content.

Sierra 2 & Foxtrot 2 2015 Trip Blog- Day 16

By wpdev July 31, 2015
written by Provisions Manager, Kathryn “KB” Broderick, Brought to you by the crew of I Am Free
July 29, 2015

Soper’s Hole to Hodges Creek Marina

It was an early wake up for I Am Free. By 8a.m., everyone was up, fed and the boat was clean! There was excitement in the air as today was Race Day! The race started at 8:30a.m., with everyone under strict instructions not to de-moor until 8:30a.m. on the dot. KB gave a count down and when the command to ‘GO’ was given, the boats worked together to get off the balls as fast as possible!

Sam L. and Callum de-threaded the mooring line as fast as they could, while Ben was spotter for other boats. Within 10 minutes, all three boats had their sails up and were racing their way to Hodges. I Am Free led the way with Spyglass and Miss You just behind them. The students were cheering each other on and trying to get the best sail trim and point of sail to win the race. Matteo was at the helm and was eager to keep in first place! Daisy was navigator and figured out the best route back to Hodges. The race continued all the way up the Sir Francis Drake Channel with the boats sailing close together. The race was tough as there was a lot of tacking and sailing upwind. In the end, I Am Free was overtaken within the last ten minutes and Miss You took the win.

I Am Free then docked at Hodges. Sam P. was at the helm, Tomer and Jack threw stern lines, while Bel and Charlotte were on fender duty. In the early afternoon, the boat had phone-time and also went on a truck tour all around Tortola. They stopped for ice cream along the way too! It was very exciting for everyone. In the evening, the Advanced Open Water divers went for their night dive and the fun divers joined them too. Skylar came back in a great mood as he saw a fish eating another fish, which was “SO COOL”.

The evening ended with a soda float for all the boats and a short boat meeting. By 10p.m., it was time for bed and everyone fell straight to sleep.

Look forward to photos to accompany this post later this evening!

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.