Skip to main content.

Tango 2 Day 9: A Morning Engaging With The Youth Empowerment Program

By wpdev July 19, 2017
written by Staff Boat mate, Marina Chissus
July 17, 2017

In the morning, around 7:30a.m., we started our short motor to Trellis Bay for a morning with the YEP (Youth Empowering Program) kids! Some of our divers also got the opportunity to spend the morning underwater. On the motor to Trellis, we had breakfast underway and then picked up a mooring ball, like we were pros! Our captain and mate started to shuttle us to shore for a truck ride to the YEP building. When we got there, we were greeted by a bunch of local kids ready for a great morning. They were all so nice and wanted to show us around their center and play some games. We played dodgeball, painted rocks, and played some more games — we had a blast!

Meanwhile, the divers went on two separate dives! Sail Caribbean Divers came and picked them up on the dive boat. The first was to a mooring ball by Scrub Island. It was so beautiful! We saw a baby sea turtle, two lion fish, a couple lobsters, and a puffer fish! We all had such a fun time. We got back on the boat and went to the second dive site, “Diamond Reef” by Marina Cay. It was a big reef that had an edge that we swam along and saw lots of tarpon, many species of fish and even a spotted drum! Everyone got back to the boat and got ready to go back to Miss You. Once back on the boat, we prepared and enjoyed some lunch. After lunch, we all started to clean for a cleaning inspection. 

Around 2p.m., we went to shore for a truck tour of the island of Tortola. It was so cool because the roads curved and twirled dramatically. At the end of the tour, we had some time to hangout and look at the shops at Trellis Bay. After, we headed back to the boat to clean a little more for our cleaning inspection. We passed and received our phones to call home to check in with loved ones.

Dinner prep crew started cooking and jammed out to groovy tunes simultaneously. We had Pho with veggies and chicken! Everyone ate it up. We cleaned up and held our boat meeting. Shortly after, it was time to power down, so everyone got ready for bed and rested their heads down in anticipation for Race Day the following day!


The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.