Skip to main content.

Bravo 1 & Charlie 1 Trip Blog- Day 16

By wpdev July 10, 2015

Bravo 1 & Charlie 1 2015 – Day 16

written by Photography mate, Erin Wildermuth, Brought to you by the crew of Galilee
July 8, 2015

The routine is set, though unfortunately ending soon. We woke up early and ate breakfast in our cockpits with the morning sun burning brighter than one would expect at 7:30a.m. We completed our pre-departure checks. We no longer need the checklist. Hatches closed, navigation instruments were switched on, lifelines were cleared and our engine was dutifully examined and tested. The boats slowly hummed to life.

We had anchored at Key Point and the brash sounds of anchors being mechanically lifted by windlasses, which Ryan operated, breaking through the calm. Rioja stepped up to the challenge of up-anchoring by hand, performed with pride, resilience and surprising amounts of brawn for mere teenagers. The event turned out to be a momentous bonding affair and the celebration of success upon completion unrivaled.

Our docking at Nanny Cay was a great success, with Don expertly leading Galilee ashore. After spending so much time on the ocean, living in small spaces with little personal time and participating in our traditional boat baths daily, the crew were ready for some rest and relaxation. The bathrooms at Nanny are single en suite palaces of wonder. The sand volleyball court overlooks the rolling waves. Several make-shift games litter the marina. The swimming pool stretches out long and inviting. Rest, relax and relish in the Caribbean sun, we did.

Freddy enjoyed playing monkey in the middle in the crystal clear pool water. Sophie visited shops with her friends. Drew devoured ice cream at the beach – our fleet’s prize for Adam’s winning photography yesterday. Max carried his team to victory on the volleyball court. Alec and Bruno won a game of soccer against some of the Rioja fleet. Bruno also played some inventive volleyball with his feet, an odd but amusing change to the game.

Our Charlie divers spent the evening enjoying the lovely, dark and deep waters. Nothing compares to the calm quiet of a night dive. Especially when you see a sting ray, as Matt did or play a silent game of tic-tac-toe at 80 feet, as Gardner did. With the convenience of our location on dock, the kids all socialized between boats until bedtime.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”72″ gal_title=”Bravo 1 & Charlie 1 Trip Blog- Day 16″]

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.