Skip to main content.

Bravo 2 & Charlie 2 2018 Adventures Day 13 – Challenge Day Sail To Anegada

By wpdev July 31, 2018
written by Provisions Manager, Allie Faulkner
July 27
, 2018

Today was Challenge Day! We had an early wake up and the student skipper and mate of the day headed over to staff boat to get the day’s schedule. They also learned about the unique location’s navigation so they could lead everyone to Anegada safely and confidently. With everything we needed to succeed, we all headed back to our boats and were ready to conquer the day!

The student leaders woke everyone up themselves and breakfast got underway. After cleaning up a bit from the meal, students executed their pre-departure checks and dropped the mooring ball. Crews started their sail from Leverick Bay to Anegada with high spirits. They raised sails, navigated, lowered sails and picked up a mooring ball at the final destination all on their own! It was a successful sail with great teamwork from all crew members.

Once at Anegada, students prepared a spectacular lunch of Greek pitas. Then, the leaders of the day lead us all to gather our things in order to head ashore for the afternoon. Once onshore, we hopped into rental trucks and our Program Directors drove us to the first beach of the day! Cow Wreck beach was beautiful and so much fun to hang out on! We slurped smoothie drinks from the restaurant and played games on the beach among our teams. After a while, we got back in the trucks to go to yet another beach: Loblolly Bay! We enjoyed the petite ice cream shop, gift shop and snorkeled around on the beach, which had an incredible reef. We also had a quick lesson on the beach about sharks anatomy. After some great time on the beach among friends, it was sadly time to head back.

On the ride back, we stopped by some shallow water areas to look for sharks! To our excitement, we spotted a small nurse shark. We then continued on to the docks where we got into our dinghies and headed back to our boats. We started on showers and dinner as we are accustomed to by now.

After a good clean of the boat, Challenge day had finally ended! We had a lengthy boat meeting to debrief our challenge day and all the successes we could count, along with some hiccups. It wasn’t long before sleep called our weary eyes and we headed to bed to rest up for more adventures tomorrow.

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.