Skip to main content.

Sierra 3, Charlie 3, Foxtrot 3 and Alpha 4, Day 7: Anegada Day!

By wpdev August 13, 2019
Written and edited by Allie Faulkner

Day 7

We woke up today on the docks of Scrub Island ready to get moving and grooving. We had a long sail ahead of us and everyone was excited to raise the sails! We had a quick breakfast buffet that we enjoyed and then cleaned up quickly. After a thorough de-docking lesson, our skipper was ready to take charge and de-dock the boat. The fleet captain came by and our skipper told him their de-docking plan. With great confidence, our skipper got us off the dock smoothly and we were on our way towards Anegada!

The sail to Anegada is always one of everybody’s favorite sails and our crew was no exception! We glided along the crystal blue waters enjoying the four hour sail with our crew mates. We worked on our navigation skills while underway, frequently checking our heading and making sure we were staying on the right course.

We picked up a mooring ball once we got to Anegada and started to prepare lunch. We all made our own sandwich wraps for lunch, which were quite delicious! After washing our dishes and packing our bags, we headed to shore!

After a quick dinghy ride to shore, we hopped in the trucks and were off to our first destination! We first went to the Anegada Beach Club where there was an abundance of things to do. We were able to swim in the pool, hang out on the beach, play volleyball, swing in the hammocks and order food and drinks if we wanted to. We also had a squid dissection on the beach where we got to see and learn about all the parts of the squid. It was lead by one of our very knowledgeable marine biology staff who was very enthusiastic about teaching the lesson.

After a wonderful afternoon, we all jumped in the truck and headed towards our next destination. On the way though, some of us took a pit stop and looked at all the flamingos on shore! It was a pink sight to see; super cool! Once we got to our next destination of Loblolly Beach, we all hung out, playing on the beach until dinner was ready. We were lucky enough to have the option to buy dinner on shore! Most of us had dinner at the restaurant and really enjoyed the fantastic meal, especially since we didn’t have to cook or clean it! After our special meal, we had a little more time to hang out on shore and gaze at the warm sunset before we had to head back to our boats.

Once back on the boat, we showered, clean the boat a bit and then had boat meeting. At boat meeting we did an activity called “hot seat”, where a crew member has one minute to tell everyone about their life and then we all get to ask questions to get to know them better. It’s a fun game that allows us to really get to know each other a little deeper. Once boat meeting came to an end, we headed to bed and drifted off to sleep.

The greatest challenge during the program was staying entertained during the quarantine period. Not being able to leave your boat and not having a phone, which was a crutch against boredom, it was difficult at first to stay entertained.